Thursday, May 28, 2009

TEAM SA LOGBOOK - 28th May - Brazil to Trinidad

28th of May 2009 - Helen Worthington-Smith

Course: 314 ̊
Speed: 8.2kn
Sails set: outer jib, inner jib, fore staysail, course, lower, upper, t'gallant, royal, main staysail, main, mizzen, t'gallant staysail.
Wind: EbE, force 4
Cloud coverage: half
Visibility: 8
Pressure: 1017
Temperature: 29 ̊C

Today was the first day of having our new schedules. I am wildly ecstatic because this means that I no longer have 4-6 night watch! I now have 8-10 which means that I won't be woken up in the middle of the night by someone shouting at the door that I have to be upstairs in 5 minutes. I will never again have to force myself to leave the cosy warmth of my bed and stumble onto deck, bleary eyed and half asleep to brave the elements.

We have been having decent sailing wind for the past couple of days and we've managed to reach some impressive speeds. I'd almost forgotten what it's like to actually move through the water (before we never really did more than bob up and down, staying in the same place, no matter how many sails we set). I also find that people's moods improve. When we had no wind we were all often a bit short tempered and didn't feel like doing anything. Now, it is as though the wind has blown away the cobwebs and everything is fresh and exciting again :)

No comments:

Post a Comment