Friday, May 8, 2009

TEAM SA LOGBOOK - 8th May - Ascension to Fernando Island

8th of May 2009 - Asekho Mdaka
4th sail leg from Ascension to Fernando Island and Natal, Brazil
temperature: 28
wind direction: S by E
heading to: Fernando
latitude 502.96075min s
longitude 26 39.6456min w
speed: 7,8 knots
traveled: 215nsm
sea condition: 2
nearest coast: Ascension.
weather out look: sunny
point of sail: motoring

Today I woke up at 6am to do my navigation watch. As we arrived we were told to set the main stay sail. It was a bit difficult because we were just three people so no one could relax. After that we started our watch, at 7:30 we went to breakfast and colors. Today it was a birthday of our team member, Dylan, so at colors they called him to stand on the spot so that they can throw him with water and as a surprise he shaved his beard.


After colors I again went to my watch as I was left with one hour. As we were motoring we were going so fast till the Captain decided that we must set the square sails, mizzen and main sail as the wind was picking up. When doing sail maneuvers Brandon was appointed to call how to set the main sail. At first he looked kind of lost but when Axel helped him and he started calling orders, he made us proud.



Today we held our team SA debriefing where we shared our achievements and challenges, read out our logbooks and some of us won gifts for the best pic (Gustav), best logbook (Bryan) and best video footage (Helen).
As I had my watch early I was free the whole day, it was a hot day and Shane was burning hot on the bridge doing navigation watch. People could not wait for dinner as it was someone's birthday that means we will get nice dessert. Dinner was nice today and everyone was happy. Straight after dinner we were called for sail maneuvers to douse the sails as we were going to motor because there was not much wind. The night was beautiful with a full moon and people were chilling outside listening to music and I was doing my night watch from 20:00 till 22:00, which was the best of all of them because time was used on sail maneuvers and that made it short. After that I went to sleep.


For me the day was good because I had a lot of free time.

No comments:

Post a Comment